- MSC Cruises’ newest and most innovative ship to-date is first to be named at a private island
- MSC Cruises’ Godmother Sophia Loren to name her 16th ship out of the fleet’s 19 ships
- Event to include ground-breaking for MSC Foundation’s Marine Conservation Center to support its Super Coral Program
Miami, Florida – Nov. 18, 2021 – MSC Cruises, the third largest cruise brand in the world, will officially name its newest flagship MSC Seashore this evening at Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve in The Bahamas. Having set sail yesterday from PortMiami, this will be the first naming ceremony for a cruise ship to be held at a private island and will be presided over by Hollywood royalty Sophia Loren, who will perform her role as Godmother to an MSC Cruises ship for the 16th time.
The event will be attended by travel advisors and media from around the world, as well as other important VIPs and stakeholders. MSC guests at the event will have the chance to experience everything that the glamourous new ship and the line’s stunning own private island has to offer including endless onboard entertainment and activities and an incredible variety of bars and restaurants. The evening’s festivities will take place both on board and on the island, as the ship will remain alongside throughout the night and include a stylish gala dinner and live entertainment from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and three-time Grammy Award-winner Nile Rodgers and his band Chic.
MSC Seashore’s naming ceremony will also serve to formally inaugurate Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, which opened in December 2019 and closed shortly thereafter due to the pandemic. A ground-breaking for the MSC Foundation’s Marine Conservation Center, which includes a laboratory and coral nursery areas will also take place on the island. This is a key part of the Foundation’s Super Coral Program, which seeks to help restore coral reefs in The Bahamas to a healthy state through the propagation of hardy Super Coral species and varieties to increase the resilience of the reefs. This work will be done in partnership with the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and Nova Southeastern University (Florida).
Following the event, MSC Seashore - the newest and most innovative vessel to be deployed out of PortMiami this coming season - will begin her inaugural 7-night cruise and U.S. season on November 20.
ABOUT MSC SEASHORE
MSC Seashore is MSC Cruises’ first Seaside EVO ship, renowned for its innovative and glamourous design features and aimed at connecting guests more deeply with the sea. This class of ship is an evolution and enhancement of the line’s pioneering Seaside class designed in the style of Miami beachfront condos. 65% of the public areas having been reimagined to elevate and enrich the guest experience, MSC Seashore offers a wealth of brand-new spaces, features and experiences for guests. The ship also offers some od the most generous outdoor space of any ship in the fleet at nearly 140,000 sq. ft . where guests can enjoy the great outdoors by lounging poolside, sipping on a refreshing cocktail in one of the bars, relaxing in a bubbling whirlpool or simply soaking up the sunshine and breezes from the balcony of their cabin.
Key highlights of MSC Cruises’ new flagship MSC Seashore
- The largest and most luxurious MSC Yacht Club in the fleet - the all-inclusive ‘ship within a ship’ premium concept providing guests with a premium all-inclusive cruise experience with private amenities and 24-hour butler service.
- 11 different types of staterooms and suites with balconies, including the coveted aft suites, 50 terraced suites with extended balconies and 32 different suites with outdoor private whirlpools.
- There are six spectacular swimming pools, including a new interactive Pirate Cove-themed waterpark and a spectacular new aft Infinity Pool, as well as two infinity whirlpools.
- Five specialty restaurants in the redesigned Chef’s Court on Deck 8 with two elegant bars, plus al fresco dining available at The Butcher’s Cut, MSC Cruises’ signature steakhouse, located on the stunning waterfront promenade.
- The exclusive Top 19 Solarium for Aurea guests with its chic outdoor lounge area and bar.
- The kids’ area is the largest in the fleet with 7,567 sq. ft. of dedicated space featuring a futuristic new theme dedicated to space and planetary exploration.
- Entertainment options from the main theatre to the high-tech disco and the larger than ever 12,215-square-foot casino through to sports bars offer something for every type of traveler.
- The first cruise ship in the world to feature the ‘Safe Air’ new air sanitation system developed by Fincantieri that uses UV-C lamp technology to eliminate 99% of viruses and bacteria, as well as 100% fresh air with no recirculation of air to guarantee clean and safe air for guests and crew.
MSC Seashore will be the MSC Cruises’ third ship based in the U.S offering a range of different length cruises from 5 nights to regular 7-night sailings through to longer cruises of up to 16 nights. With the arrival of MSC Seashore, MSC Meraviglia will now move to Port Canaveral for the rest of the season and MSC Divina will move to PortMiami. For summer 2022, MSC Seashore will remain in Miami.
THE LATEST ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY
As part of MSC Cruises’ journey towards net zero greenhouse gas emissions from its marine operations by 2050, MSC Seashore features the latest environmental technology including hybrid exhaust gas cleaning systems (EGCS) and cutting-edge selective catalytic reduction systems (SCR), achieving a 98% reduction of sulphur oxide (SOx) emissions and reducing nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions by 90%. Her wastewater treatment systems have been designed in line with the International Maritime Organization’s MEPC 227(64) Resolution and achieve purification standards that are higher than most wastewater treatment facilities ashore. The new flagship is also equipped with shore-to-ship power connectivity, allowing her to connect to local power grids while at berth at ports where this infrastructure is available.
OCEAN CAY MSC MARINE RESERVE – AN AWARD-WINNING DESTINATION
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, a private island destination, opened at the end of 2019. It was a former industrial sand extraction site that has since been lovingly restored to pristine condition including the restoration of endangered corals, and the implementation of other conservation and educational programs.
Existing in harmony with the local ecosystem, it features a 64-square-mile marine reserve. Designed to show MSC Cruises’ strong appreciation of and commitment to the environment, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve is dedicated to the restoration of marine resources and the ongoing conservation of marine life.
Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve also brings a slice of paradise to guests. It offers multiple white sandy beaches where chairs, umbrellas and cabanas await guests for a relaxing day on the beach and soaking up the vibrant spirit of The Bahamas, while surrounded by sweeping vistas of crystal blue waters at every turn.
Aside from enjoying the beach, there are plenty of ways to make the most of the island during the day. Guests can try some water sports or other activities as part of the shore excursions program, browse the shops for a unique souvenir, indulge in a sumptuous spa treatment, or grab a cocktail or bite to eat at one of the different bars and food venues around the island. As the ships dock directly at the island, guests can easily reboard at their leisure and return in the evening to enjoy nighttime festivities including a traditional Bahamian Junkanoo parade, beach party with a DJ and a stunning light show from the Lighthouse.
All MSC Cruises ships out of PortMiami and Port Canaveral call at Ocean Cay and often remain at the island until late in the evening or even overnight giving guests plenty of time to discover everything that the island has to offer.
For more about MSC Seashore, see here.
For more information on cruises in the Caribbean see here.
For more information about Ocean Cay see here